Jesus gives us the task of communicating an important message from God to humanity. The message concerns God's kindness toward broken humanity in freely offering his eternal friendship to all who ask Jesus.
The Bible uses different words to explain the gospel. "The kingdom of God is at hand" is the most popular gospel statement. To a Jew in the first century, waiting for God to come to Jerusalem to gather a people to be with him for eternity, a coming kingdom is easily grasped. Not so for us children of the twenty-first century. In John's gospel the term "eternal life" sums up the message. "Come to" Jesus, "believe in" Jesus, and ours is the gift of "eternal life." The classic gospel message is something like "because Jesus lives, we can live also, live both now and for eternity. All we have to do is ask Jesus."
As part of our responsibility to communicate the gospel to lost humanity, we have to be ready, willing and able to explain our faith. The best method I know of is to have a five-point presentation at our fingertips. That is, count the points through, 1-5.
Some young people today are using colored beads, either as a bracelet or necklace. The colors serve as an easy reminder to each point of the gospel. The points to remember are simple enough:
1. (Green). There is a God who has made this world, and made us to know him. [God/Creation].
2. (Black). The trouble is we humans have turned our back on God and gone our own way. [Sin].
3. (Red). God has done the only thing you would expect him to do; he has reached out to broken humanity in the person of Jesus Christ who was broken for us. [Jesus' sacrifice].
4. (White). Although broken, Jesus rose from the dead, and because he lives we can live also, live eternally in the presence of God. [Resurrection].
5. (Yellow). If we want to be part of God's heaven all we have to do is ask. [Repent and believe].
If you want to make a set of Jesus Beads, just go to any craft shop and buy round colored wooden beads. Also buy some finely cut strips of leather and thread a set of the beads onto one of the leather strips or platted cord. This is a very easy way of remembering the gospel, and the beads themselves can serve as a conversation starter.